High School Spanish Foreign Language Teacher
St. Augustine Preparatory Academy (Aug Prep) is a K4-12 Christian School on Milwaukee’s South side that opened in the summer of 2017. The school is a student-centered environment where young learners take ownership of their education not only in academics, but also physical health, creativity, and faith. Our graduates will go on to achieve their highest potential and make our city, and ultimately the world, a better place. The school currently enrolls about 1,300 students.
Job Responsibilities and Roles
- Teaches skills and knowledge in foreign language instruction to 9-12 students, utilizing course of study adopted by the Board and other appropriate learning activities. Spanish foreign language teachers will teach aural comprehension, speaking, reading, and writing. This role is focused on Spanish for native speakers at higher grade levels (10-12).
- Develops lesson plans and supplementary materials compatible with the basic instructional philosophy.
- Provides learning experiences which develop the basic communication skills, utilizing electronic equipment as appropriate.
- Provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each pupil.
- Instructs pupils in the safe operation of electronic equipment used in language instruction. Makes minor adjustments and requests repairs as required.
- Develops pupil understanding and appreciation of the culture of countries where a foreign language is spoken.
- Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to provide an orderly, productive classroom environment.
- Evaluates each pupil’s progress in aural comprehension, speaking, reading and writing the foreign language in relation to the level being taught.
- Selects and requisitions books, instructional aids, and instructional supplies and maintains required inventory records.
- Communicates with parents and school counselors on pupil progress.
- Identifies pupil needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in helping pupils solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
- Supervises pupils in out-of-classroom activities during the assigned work day.
- Participates in curriculum and other developmental programs.
- Participates in faculty committees and the sponsorship of student activities.
- Maintains professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the school and/or in self-selected professional growth activities.
- Performs other duties as may, from time to time be assigned by the supervisor.
- Perform related work as required.
- A belief in the ability of every child and a commitment to ensure excellence for each student.
- Bachelor’s Degree (with major or minor in Spanish Foreign Language preferred) Master’s degree in Education a plus.
- Participating member of a local Church.
- Effective oral and written communication skills; bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- Skilled in strategic planning, project management, and organization development; able to balance a focus on big-picture priorities while not losing sight of the annual goals and objectives.
- Team player committed to the St. Augustine Preparatory mission and model.
- Lastly and most important, the candidate must demonstrate and possess the highest integrity. and be able to live the values, beliefs, and culture of St. Augustine Prep.
St. Augustine Preparatory Academy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, national and ethnic origin or any other basis prohibited by law when hiring, promoting, establishing wages, or providing benefits.
As a faith-based institution based on biblical principles, St. Augustine Preparatory Academy hires employees who agree with the school’s Mission Statement and Statement of Beliefs and adhere to biblical standards of conduct.