Part Time School Security Officer
St. Augustine Preparatory Academy is seeking candidates to fill the available part-time School Security Officer position. The position is responsible for maintaining order and discipline, preventing crime, and detaining students violating the law or school board policies on school property or at school-sponsored events and is responsible solely for ensuring the safety, security, and welfare of all students, faculty, staff, and visitors in the school. Position assists the administrative staff with enforcing policies and procedures for safe and orderly schools at the building level. The selected candidate will mostly work afternoon, evening, and weekend events based on the needs of the school.
St. Augustine Preparatory Academy is a K4-12 non-denominational Christian School coming to Milwaukee’s South side at 2607 S. 5th Street in August of 2017. The school will be a student-centered environment where young learners take ownership of their education not only in academics, but also physical health, creativity, and faith. Our graduates will go on to achieve their highest potential and make our city, and ultimately the word, a better place.
St. Augustine Preparatory Academy develops students to be tomorrow’s leaders. They will be known by their strength of character, courage, intellect, impactful contributions and their faith.
We will develop the leaders of tomorrow by:
- Providing exceptional Christian based education
- Offering am uninterrupted K-12 educational experience
- Educating the whole child – mind, body and soul
- Maximizing the potential of each individual student through personalized instruction
- Integrating family, faith, academics and athletics/arts
- Emphasizing grit, persistence and personal responsibility
- Offering a safe, stimulating and welcoming school environment
Reporting structures: Security Officers report to the Superintendent or designee
These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Patrols and monitors assigned areas of the school buildings, grounds, athletic areas, and parking lots to deter, detect, report and stop violations of the law and/or Board of Directors policies.
- Detects, investigates and reports unauthorized or suspicious persons, vehicles and activities.
- Assists administrators and staff in crisis and emergency situations.
- Notifies the administrative staff, police, fire department, or other appropriate authorities of security or emergency situations.
- Operates metal detectors and conducts searches when directed to do so.
- Testifies in court and at Board of Directors Disciplinary Review Committee hearings as required.
- Assists with fire drills and other emergency building evacuations.
- Supervises student behavior in lieu of faculty.
- Maintains security records, logs and reports.
- Attends and successfully completes all staff development training as required by state law or directed by the Superintendent.
- Reads and responds to email communications.
- Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
- Maintains the same high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students as is expected in the classroom teachers.
- Performs other duties as may, from time to time be assigned by the supervisor.
- Perform related work as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable individuals with disabilities, who are otherwise qualified, to perform the essential functions.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Must possess a high school diploma (or equivalency) with some experience or training in a security-related field or any equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the noted knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Must possess knowledge of, and the ability to apply, standard security procedures and best practices.
- Must possess the ability to acquire knowledge of the Board of Directors policies.
- Security experience in a public school setting preferred. Completion of college-level courses in the area of security, psychology, emergency management, or criminal justice preferred.
- Must possess the ability to read, write, speak and understand standard English.
- Must have basic computer skills using Google apps and other comparable programs.
- A belief in the ability of every child and a commitment to ensure excellence for each student
- Participating member in a local Church.
- Team player committed to the St. Augustine Preparatory mission and model.
- Lastly and most important, the candidate must demonstrate and possess the highest integrity. and be able to live the values, beliefs, and culture of St. Augustine Prep.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Must have the ability to stand and/or walk for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to dial a telephone, key a two-way radio microphone, operate a keyboard, and use a lock and key; hear and understand speech at normal levels; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly; articulate information in an emergency situation; use physical agility and strength to defend self and detain persons using force if necessary; and have the visual acuity necessary to observe and comprehend student transitions.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The School Security Officer will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the principal, supervisor or appropriate administrator. St. Augustine Preparatory Academy reserves the right to update, revise or change this job description and related duties at any time.
St. Augustine Preparatory Academy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, national and ethnic origin or any other basis prohibited by law when hiring, promoting, establishing wages, or providing benefits.
As a faith-based institution based on biblical principles, St. Augustine Preparatory Academy hires employees who agree with the school’s Mission Statement and Statement of Beliefs and adhere to biblical standards of conduct.