Part Time Speech-Language Therapist (Middle and High School)
St. Augustine Preparatory Academy (Aug Prep) is a K4-12 Christian School on Milwaukee’s South side that opened in the summer of 2017. The school is a student-centered environment where young learners take ownership of their education not only in academics, but also physical health, creativity, and faith. Our graduates will go on to achieve their highest potential and make our city, and ultimately the world, a better place. The school currently enrolls about 1,300 students.
This position will work with middle and high school students and coordinate with the (full time) elementary speech-language therapist.
- Providing high-quality direct speech-language therapy services to students according to students’ IEPs/504 plans.
- Conducting assessments, analyzing results, and writing reports to determine strengths and concerns in areas of speech, voice, fluency, pragmatics, language, and oral motor skills.
- Developing treatment plans (IEPs/504 plans) that are strength-based as well as child and family-centered for overall educational improvement.
- Ensuring evaluations, treatment plans and service delivery are aligned with school, state, and federal guidelines.
- Assisting and guiding teachers in observing, describing, and referring suspected and identified speech and language delays/disorders.
- Consulting with teaching teams to develop and implement of curriculum modifications and appropriate classroom strategies such as visual supports, oral motor exercises, language strips, topics of conversation, and data collection.
- Ensuring students’ skills are generalized across settings by collaborating with teaching teams and related service providers.
- Completing treatment notes and progress reports in a timely manner and according to school policy.
- Managing a detailed log of service provided and services missed due to student or therapist absences.
- Documenting all aspects of work with students in Infinite Campus according to school guidelines.
- Communicating and coordinating with the Director of Special Education to ensure school mission, philosophy, and procedures are embraced.
- Designing and conducting professional development series starting at staff orientation and ending at the end of the school year.
- Designing and conducting training for parents and families. Maintaining an inventory of materials, assessments, and supplies.
- Maintaining appropriate, confidential, records and provide timely reports.
- Keeping abreast of best practices in speech and language therapy and language development.
- Engaging parents and families in their student’s learning and acting as an ambassador for the school in the community.
- Contributing productively to the school as a whole.
- Attending and participating in school events outside of regular school hours.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A belief in the ability of every child and a commitment to ensure excellence for each student.
- Bachelor’s Degree, with major in Speech-Language Pathology or Communication Disorders
- Master’s Degree, Speech-Language Pathology
- Have two years of related experience, preferably with adolescents/teenagers
- Demonstrate knowledge of current best practices in the area of speech-language pathology.
- Participating member of a local Church.
- Effective oral and written communication skills; bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- Skilled in strategic planning, project management, and organization development; able to balance a focus on big picture priorities while not losing sight of the annual goals and objectives.
- Team player committed to the St. Augustine Preparatory mission and model.
- Lastly and most important, the candidate must demonstrate and possess the highest integrity. and be able to live the values, beliefs, and culture of St. Augustine Prep.
St. Augustine Preparatory Academy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, national and ethnic origin or any other basis prohibited by law when hiring, promoting, establishing wages, or providing benefits.
As a faith-based institution based on biblical principles, St. Augustine Preparatory Academy hires employees who agree with the school’s Mission Statement and Statement of Beliefs and adhere to biblical standards of conduct.