Why Our School?
St. Augustine Preparatory Academy (Aug Prep) is named for St. Augustine of Hippo, whose teachings are among the most important in all of Christianity.
- St. Augustine’s life is an example of how God uses a broken vessel to do his work. Even though he sinned grievously, he eventually entrusted his whole life to God.
- St. Monica, Augustine’s mother, shows us the important and lasting role family plays in the spiritual well-being of children.
- A great Christian theologian whose teaching strongly emphasized the concepts of original sin and salvation by grace.
- St. Augustine taught us that our humanity is rooted in God’s grace, not in money, power, fame, pleasure or any other earthly good.
- An extremely intelligent man, St. Augustine strongly believed in the importance of developing critical thinking skills. He viewed learning as a lifelong endeavor.
- St. Augustine believed in individualized instruction, encouraging teachers to consider their students’ individual needs.
St. Augustine’s views on education and his complete conversion to a life of grace and dignity inspired the four pillars upon which our school is founded.