2021-2022 Elementary School Instructional Assistant
St. Augustine Preparatory Academy (Aug Prep) is a K4-12 multi-denominational Christian School on Milwaukee’s Southside that opened in the summer of 2017. Our school is a student-centered environment where young learners take ownership of their education not only in academics, but also physical health, creativity, and faith. Our graduates will go on to achieve their highest potential and make our city, and ultimately the world, a better place. Aug Prep currently enrolls over 1,400 students, with our first class of seniors graduating in spring 2021.
St. Augustine Preparatory Academy is seeking candidates to fill the available full-time Elementary School Instructional Assistant position. The Instructional Assistant is responsible for providing assistance to instructional programs by assisting the teacher in achieving educational objectives by working with individual students or small groups to help them achieve the skill levels of the class as a whole. They will assist the teacher in providing a well-organized, smoothly functioning class environment in which students can take full advantage of the instructional program and available resource materials.
Job Responsibilities and Roles
- Executes instructional activities with individual students or small groups of students following teacher direction and demonstration.
- Ensure that all students receive a high-quality educational experience resulting in high student achievement.
- Serve as the cultural and spiritual model for their students, always interacting respectfully and striving to demonstrate God’s love to their students and families.
- Use academic data to modify both whole and small-group instruction in order to best meet the needs of their students.
- Work with classroom teachers to evaluate pupils’ academic and social growth, keeping appropriate records in a timely fashion in order to prepare progress reports.
- Work with classroom teachers to identify pupil needs and make appropriate referrals; develop strategies for individual education plans as needed.
- Integrate technology and student learning styles into instruction.
- Work in a supportive and collaborative manner with colleagues, supervisors, students, parents/guardians, and community members.
- Maintain and improve professional skills by participating in staff and department meetings/professional development (collaborative planning time teams, etc.), formal coursework, workshops, and seminars/in-services in an effort to stay current with best teaching practices.
- Maintain positive and productive relationships, focused on collective problem-solving processes, in order to create, support, and sustain an environment conducive to optimal learning.
- Fully represent the values and culture of St. Augustine Prep at all times.
- Assists students in special education and general education classes. Assists in preparation of materials for class, classroom activities, assignments, location of supplementary materials from school library and other resources areas.
- Implements behavior management programs designed by teachers and/or other school staff.
- Monitors student use of instructional equipment.
- Serves as a source of information and help to any substitute teacher assigned in the absence of the regular teacher. If authorized by the administration, Instructional Assistants can take over a classroom if they have a bachelor’s degree.
- Maintains the same high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students as is expected in the classroom teachers.
- Performs other duties as may, from time to time, be assigned by the supervisor.
- A belief in the ability of every child and a commitment to ensure excellence for each student.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Participating member of a local church.
- Effective oral and written communication skills; bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- Team player committed to the St. Augustine Preparatory mission and model.
- Lastly and most important, the candidate must demonstrate and possess the highest integrity, and be able to live the values, beliefs, and culture of Aug Prep.
Non Discrimination Policy
St. Augustine Preparatory Academy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, national and ethnic origin or any other basis prohibited by law when hiring, promoting, establishing wages, or providing benefits.
As a faith-based institution based on biblical principles, St. Augustine Preparatory Academy hires employees who agree with the school’s Mission Statement and Statement of Beliefs and adhere to biblical standards of conduct.