2021-2022 High School English Teacher
St. Augustine Preparatory Academy (Aug Prep) is a K4-12 multi-denominational Christian School on Milwaukee’s Southside that opened in the summer of 2017. Our school is a student-centered environment where young learners take ownership of their education not only in academics, but also physical health, creativity, and faith. Our graduates will go on to achieve their highest potential and make our city, and ultimately the world, a better place. Aug Prep currently enrolls over 1,400 students, with our first class of seniors graduating in spring 2021.
The High School program at St. Augustine Preparatory Academy combines research-based best instructional practices while also acknowledging the social, emotional, and developmental needs of every student. Students learn best when they are engaged in genuine and authentic learning experiences that align with their evolving interests, inspiring their natural curiosities and empowering them for future success.
Therefore, students at St. Augustine Prep High School are immersed in both traditional and cross-curricular learning experiences, focused on their own personalized learning needs with a high degree of learner responsibility, empowered by student voice and choice. Teachers are expected to plan for and participate in both traditional and cross-curricular teaching and learning experiences for students. Classrooms are equipped with innovative technology to assist teachers in differentiation, individualization, personalization, skill development, and accelerated programming for students based on their individual needs. The High School core curricular areas align with common core state standards, in addition to learning experiences provided in the fine arts (music, dance, theatre, and visual arts), career education (STEM), physical education, and Spanish.
Aug Prep is looking to hire a English teacher for the 2021-2022 school year. The ideal candidate will be an exceptional collaborator and team player, have a deep understanding of literacy within the content area, and an ability to connect with and inspire students. We are particularly interested in educators passionate about working in urban education as a part of a high-performing, driven staff. Ideal candidates will also be well versed in strategies to promote metacognitive engagement and be willing to go the extra mile for students. Candidates should be organized, detail oriented, and show expertise in developing lesson plans.
A St. Augustine Preparatory High School English Teacher will:
- Hold the primary responsibility for the social, emotional, and academic development of their students while acknowledging their individual needs and development.
- Ensure that all students receive a high-quality educational experience resulting in high student achievement.
- Serve as the cultural and spiritual model for their students, always interacting respectfully and striving to demonstrate God’s love to their students and families.
- Develop curriculum and instructional strategies to provide individualized and small group instruction by adapting the 9-12 approved curriculum to the needs of each pupil.
- Use academic data to modify both whole and small-group instruction in order to best meet the needs of their students.
- Evaluate pupils’ academic and social growth, keeping appropriate records in a timely fashion in order to prepare progress reports.
- Identify pupil needs and make appropriate referrals; develop strategies for individual education plans as needed.
- Integrate technology and student learning styles into instruction.
- Work in a supportive and collaborative manner with colleagues, supervisors, students, parents/guardians, and community members.
- Maintain and improve professional skills by participating in building and department meetings/professional development (collaborative planning time teams, etc.), formal coursework, workshops, and seminars/inservices in an effort to stay current with best teaching practices.
- Maintain positive and productive relationships, focused on collective problem-solving processes, in order to create, support, and sustain an environment conducive to optimal learning.
- A belief in the ability of every child and a commitment to ensure excellence for each student.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s degree a plus).
- Participating member of a local Church.
- Effective oral and written communication skills; bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- Skilled in strategic planning, project management, and organization development; able to balance a focus on big picture priorities while not losing sight of the annual goals and objectives.
- Team player committed to the St. Augustine Preparatory mission and model.
- Lastly and most important, the candidate must demonstrate and possess the highest integrity, and be able to live the values, beliefs, and culture of St. Augustine Prep.
St. Augustine Preparatory Academy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, national and ethnic origin or any other basis prohibited by law when hiring, promoting, establishing wages, or providing benefits.
As a faith-based institution based on biblical principles, St. Augustine Preparatory Academy hires employees who agree with the school’s Mission Statement and Statement of Beliefs and adhere to biblical standards of conduct.