2021-2022 High School Special Education Paraprofessional
St. Augustine Preparatory Academy (Aug Prep) is a K4-12 multi-denominational Christian School on Milwaukee’s Southside that opened in the summer of 2017. Our school is a student-centered environment where young learners take ownership of their education not only in academics, but also physical health, creativity, and faith. Our graduates will go on to achieve their highest potential and make our city, and ultimately the world, a better place. Aug Prep currently enrolls over 1,400 students, with our first class of seniors graduating in spring 2021.
The High School program at St. Augustine Preparatory Academy combines research-based best instructional practices while also acknowledging the social, emotional, and developmental needs of every student. Students learn best when they are engaged in genuine and authentic learning experiences that align with their evolving interests, inspiring their natural curiosities and empowering them for future success.
Therefore, students at St. Augustine Prep High School are immersed in both traditional and cross-curricular learning experiences, focused on their own personalized learning needs with a high degree of learner responsibility, empowered by student voice and choice. Teachers are expected to plan for and participate in both traditional and cross-curricular teaching and learning experiences for students. Classrooms are equipped with innovative technology to assist teachers in differentiation, individualization, personalization, skill development, and accelerated programming for students based on their individual needs. The High School core curricular areas align with common core state standards, in addition to learning experiences provided in the fine arts (music, dance, theatre, and visual arts), career education (STEM), physical education, and Spanish.
A Special Education Paraprofessional provides assistance to students either in the classroom or in a pull-out group setting, performing a variety of tasks relating to the instructional/behavioral needs of students in a classroom setting; assists in the implementation of instructional programs, including self-help and behavior management as well as academic skills and content learning. The special education paraprofessional performs related duties as required or assigned.
Job Responsibilities and Roles
- Develop students motivation for learning and work to have students meet their goals
- Build relationships with students that are empowering and sustainable
- Perform several tasks concurrently under varying deadlines
- Exercise tact, good judgment, and initiative in dealing with students, faculty, and the public
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Adhere to Aug Prep policies, norms, and services detailed in scholars’ personal learning plans
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word and Google
- Maintain confidentiality
- Serves as a model of mature Christian faith and demonstrates the values of Aug Prep on a daily basis.
- A belief in the ability of every child and a commitment to ensure excellence for each student.
- Must have a minimum of 48 credits with two years of experience working in education or bachelor’s degree.
- Experience working with students with disabilities, as well as implementation of IEP’s
- Participating member of a local Church.
- Effective oral and written communication skills; bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- Skilled in strategic planning, project management, and organization development; able to balance a focus on big picture priorities while not losing sight of the annual goals and objectives.
- Team player committed to the St. Augustine Preparatory mission and model.
- Lastly and most important, the candidate must demonstrate and possess the highest integrity. and be able to live the values, beliefs, and culture of St. Augustine Prep.
St. Augustine Preparatory Academy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, national and ethnic origin or any other basis prohibited by law when hiring, promoting, establishing wages, or providing benefits.
As a faith-based institution based on biblical principles, St. Augustine Preparatory Academy hires employees who agree with the school’s Mission Statement and Statement of Beliefs and adhere to biblical standards of conduct.